Although growing rosemary here in the mountains of Utah can be difficult. I like to plant rosemary in a deep pot near the back door so I can give it special attention. Then I can move the pot indoors in the winter.
Tips for using fresh rosemary.
- Fresh rosemary can be tied up in a bundle of cheese cloth, which make them easy to remove.
- Chopped leaves can be used to flavor stews, tomato based sauces and marinades.
- Use fresh sprigs when making apple jelly. Remove just before bottling or add fresh sprigs to the jar and pour hot apple jelly over the top.
Tips for using dried rosemary.
- Crush the dried rosemary with your fingers just before your add it to your recipe, this releases the flavor.
- Rosemary leaves can be unpleasant in dishes. Crush it finely with a mortar an pestle. Or use whole sprigs and remove them just before serving your dish.
- Use dried rosemary with lamb, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, breads, chicken and pork.
Try these great recipes for using rosemary.
The summer season is running a little late this year so we are just not harvesting our beets. This is one of our favorite recipes for fresh beets.
Fresh Beets with Fresh Rosemary
- 12 small beets
- 2 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 3 tsp of butter
- salt and pepper
Completely cover the beets with water and cook until tender. 30 – 40 min. (Cooking time will vary according the size of beet. You can tell when the beet is done by pressing your finger against it. If it easily gives, it is done.) Slip the beet skins, cool and slice. Strip the leaves from the rosemary and finely chop. In a sauce pan toss beets, butter and rosemary about 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve.
(For healthier eating always cook in glass or high quality stainless steel pots.)
The new potatoes are ready. We usually grow a red potato and cook them on the grill with fresh rosemary. So simple and yet so good.
Garlic Potatoes On the Grill
- Serves 4 to 6
- 6 new potatoes – scrubbed and sliced
- 1 Tb. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
- 3 Tb. olive oil.
- Salt and pepper
Slather part of the oil on the dull side of heavy duty aluminum foil. Place the potatoes and rosemary on the foil. Drizzle with the rest of the oil. Salt and pepper to taste. Seal foil up like a tight package. Place on a medium hot grill and cook for about 10 min. on each side. Slide the potatoes to your serving dish and serve immediately. Yumm!
Hope you enjoy using rosemary,