Here are some simple yet yummy ways to use your fresh sweet basil herb.
Basil Tomato Salad
- fresh tomatoes
- rice wine vinegar
- basil leaves – torn
- Slice fresh tomatoes onto your serving platter. Sprinkle with vinegar and top with torn basil leaves. Serve. (Use a platter that adds contrast, like blue, yellow or green.)
- 3 c. fresh basil leaves
- 1 c. pine nuts
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- 1/2 c. fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 c. cold pressed olive oils
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Place basil, garlic and cheese in your food processor. Blend and add oil slowly. Add salt and pepper. Serve over hot spaghetti.
- I love walnuts in this instead of pine nuts.
Better Than Garlic Bread
- Spread pesto sauce on slices of a crusty bread. Top with Provolone cheese and place under the broiler….yummy.
Take advantage of the summer by using herbs from your garden.
P.S. Get a fresh Parmesan cheese grater. Keep your cheese in the grater and store in a plastic zip lock bag in the fridge. This is so convenient that you will find your self using your cheese more often.