Add texture and depth to you herb garden by attracting birds. Now this can be done in several ways.
- A bird bath. Place a bird bath in your herb garden. Birds need water, especially in the winter and the harsh heat of summer. A bird bath will make your garden the in place to go. In the winter the birds flock around our small fish pond because we keep it heated.
- A bird feeder. Place your feeders near your herb garden. Provide ground feeders as well as hanging feeders for song birds. And a bright humming bird feeder is a must.
- Trees and bushes. Plant your herb garden near bushes and trees. This gives birds the cover they desire when they come to your garden to feed or bathe.
- Plant herbs that birds love.
Plants to attract humming birds.
These herb plants will bring humming birds to your garden. Each one is a perenial and blooms at a different time. Plant each one to invited humming birds from spring thru fall.
- Anise Hyssop – Humming birds love the blue flowers of this plant. Sun to partial shade.
- Anise Sage - The lavender and white flowers bloom from August through fall. Sun to partial shade.
- Bee Balm – This tall plant comes in orange-red, pink and purple. My red Bee Balm does the best at attracting humming birds. It blooms in late summer. Sun to partial shade.
- Catmint – These lavender flowers start in the spring and bloom through June. Sun and shade.
- Comfrey – This is another early spring and summer favorite. Flowers range from pink to blue. Sun to partial shade.
- Hyssop – This late bloomer has blue flowers. Plant in full sun.
- Rosemary – This plant flowers in different hues of blue during the spring and early summer. Plant in full sun.
Plants that attract birds
Bring the pleasure of song birds to your garden with these herb plants.
- Bee Balm – This is still one of my favorites.
- Marigolds – Adding Marigolds to you herb garden will keep out bugs and bring in the birds. The birds love to pick at seeds in the old heads. Grow in full sun to part shade.
- Sun Flowers – Plant in full sun to attract a huge variety of song birds. The birds will come to the mature heads in late summer thru fall.
- Verbena- Grows as an annual here. It attracts both birds and butterflies. Plant in full sun.
- Yarrow – This summer perennial l blooms from June thu August. Plant in full sun.
Cheap Bird Baths
I am always on the look out for ways to make my own cheap bird baths. I like to place these different containers all over my gardens, the birds love them.
If you are not feeling that creative, you can find cheap bird baths like this iron bird bath I found online.
P.S. Have you had success in attracting birds to your garden?